This is a 30 day challenge to work you up to awesome plank muscles, and, as you can see from the picture, there are a LOT of muscles you work in a plank! It is a great core workout! Be sure and warm up first. Do this as part of your regular workout – in addition to your other exercises. At the end, in the middle, or right after you warm up…whichever feels right for you.
Be sure to click the SHARE buttons and share this post (Pinterest, Facebook, Twitter, etc)!
How to Do the Basic Plank
- Get in the pushup position, only put your forearms on the ground instead of your hands. Your elbows should line up directly underneath your shoulders. Toes on the ground.
- Squeeze your glutes and tighten your abdominals.
- Keep a neutral neck and spine.
- Create a straight, strong line from head to toes – a plank, if you will (that means don’t have your butt up in the air, you should have as straight of a line as possible from the back of your neck to the back of your heels).
- Hold that position.
Things to Remember
- Don’t let your hips sag down to the ground. Sagging hips makes the exercise initially easier, but it’s not a plank and it defeats the purpose of the exercise.
- Look down at the ground. This is a good prompt for maintaining a neutral neck position.
- BREATHE! Slowly, steady, breathe in and out. You are not doing yourself any good if you hold your breath.
Here is the 30 day schedule/challenge – Day one starts with 20 seconds. Easy Peasy!
The right tools + the right support = success!
¸.•*¨*•♫♪¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪Be sure to follow my blog, or follow me on Facebook, Twitter, etc.(click the buttons at the top of the page) for more challenges, tips, recipes, and fitness information.♫♪¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪¸¸.
About Coach Donna Lewis
Donna is a 49-year-old mother of five (grandmother of two, almost three) with a background in Addictions Counseling. She is now a SAHM/WAHM with two disabled preteen boys and a very hard-working husband. She struggling with weight her entire life, and tried just about every single “diet” and weight loss program.
She has struggled with fibromyalgia, diabetes, and hypothyroidism for about 10 years. However, after a change in lifestyle, diet, and losing over 100#, her health and fitness levels improved tremendously. She ran her first 5K in October 2012 and her doctor rescinded her diagnosis of diabetes. More recently, she has been able to eliminate almost all prescription medication.
Since Early 2012, when she first ordered her BeachBody program: P90X, she has gone from a size 22 to a size 10 pant size. She now helps others who struggle with weight loss as well as mentors new coaches in order to help them become financially fit as well as physically.